At a Glance: Our Choice for 5 Best Glucosamine Supplements for Dogs
- Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM Chewable Tablets for Dogs
- Nutramax Cosequin DS PLUS MSM Chewable Tablets
- Pets-Are-Human - Hip Joint Pain Relief Chews with Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Omega 3 and MSM
- TerraMax Pro Liquid Glucosamine with Chondroitin MSM and Hyaluronic Acid
- Vetri-Science Laboratories Glyco-Flex III Bite-Sized Dog Chews
Note: Some of the links above take you to more information, current prices and customer reviews on Chewy.
Joint problems like arthritis and inflammation afflict dogs as they age just like they do with humans. These issues can slow your dog down and make movement painful, reducing their quality of life and long-term health.
These conditions are particularly prevalent with large breed dogs, and especially labrador retrievers, though it can affect any dog, no matter the breed or their size.
All is not lost however, and – again, just like with humans– there are plenty of diet supplements for dogs on the market that can improve any joint issues Fido may be suffering with. Although unable to provide a total cure, the best supplements can relieve pain and, if started early enough, even serve as a preventative measure.
Quick Overview: The Best Glucosamine for Dogs
Contents & Quick Navigation
- Quick Overview: The Best Glucosamine for Dogs
- The Benefits of Glucosamine for Your Dog
- When Does My Dog Need to Take Glucosamine?
- How to Administer Glucosamine
- Are There any Side Effects for Dogs Taking Glucosamine?
- The Best Glucosamine for Dogs
- Save this to Pinterest:
- Our Top Picks
The Benefits of Glucosamine for Your Dog
One such diet supplement is glucosamine, which you may be familiar with as a human supplement to help ease joint stiffness and the symptoms of arthritis.
Glucosamine for dogs is similar to the human formulation and can prove a valuable tool in the fight against arthritis regardless of the stage the arthritis is at.
In essence, glucosamine is a naturally occurring compound found in the connective tissue and fluid around joints. The supplement is simply a synthesized version of this.
By taking glucosamine regularly, in the manner advised by your vet, your dog can expect to enjoy the following benefits:
- Pain relief from muscle inflammation, bone loss and arthritis
- The rebuilding of lost cartilage
- Improvement in joint function and movement
Consequently, you’ll notice that your dog has more energy and freedom to move, leading to a greater quality of life and an array of other health benefits.
Additionally, taking glucosamine as a preventative measure for arthritis will mean your dog is less likely to need medicated pain relief in their future. In comparison:
- Glucosamine is cheaper than pain medication
- Glucosamine carries less risk of unpleasant side effects than pain medication
- Glucosamine is less likely to react with other supplements, dietary intake and medicines than pain medication
When Does My Dog Need to Take Glucosamine?
You can start your dog on glucosamine at any age; just remember to consult your vet so that they can advise on the best dosage tailored to your pet’s particular needs. As a diet supplement, it carries low risks of side effects and can prove preventative for arthritis and other joint problems later in life.
Having said that, if your dog begins to develop signs of arthritis, or if they are already in the full throes of the disease, glucosamine supplements are still a valuable tool in your dog’s health kit.
If you think your dog may be developing joint problems or arthritis, consult your vet so you can begin treatment and glucosamine supplementation as soon as possible.
The Symptoms of Arthritis in Dogs
It can be quite difficult to detect whether your dog is suffering from arthritis, as our canine friends tend to hide their weaknesses and suffering as an innate defensive response.
Having said that, look out for the following clues that could be signs of joint discomfort in your dog:
- A decrease in activity and sense of lethargy. They may be particularly hesitant on long walks, and running up and down stairs
- Tender to the touch, particularly around their hind legs and hip joints
- A restlessness when lying down or sleeping, indicating pain from swelling and inflammation
How to Best Treat Arthritis in Dogs
First things first, always consult your vet if you suspect your dog may be suffering from arthritis or a similar joint problem and they will be able to provide tailored advice and medication to best fit your dog’s needs.
Otherwise, you can make your dog as comfortable as possible by:
- Providing them a healthy, balanced diet (remember to reduce their portion sizes accordingly if they are less active than normal)
- Giving them plenty of rest and avoiding stressful environments
- Giving them plenty of love and attention
- Supplementing their diet with substances like glucosamine and other vitamins and minerals to help slow and support the aging process
How to Administer Glucosamine
Your vet should be able to advise on the correct dosage of glucosamine for your dog, taking into account such factors as their weight, age and the extent of their problems.
It’s imperative that you do consult a vet before administering supplements or other medicines to your dog: only a trained professional will be best placed to know how your dog will react to a certain formula.
Often, your vet will advise your arthritic dog be put on an initial ‘administration’ or ‘loading’ phase, featuring a high intake of glucosamine in a short period, followed by a ‘maintenance’ period with a lower dosage over a longer time span.
Many manufacturers of glucosamine for dogs will have special formulations like flavored chews, liquid, or crumbling tablets to add to food. It depends on your dog’s sensibilities which one they best prefer and are most likely to ingest.
Some manufacturers include additional vitamins and minerals in their glucosamine supplement formulations to provide extra support and benefits to your dog.
Some popular added substances include:
- Omega-3 fatty acids: to reduce inflammation and improve the condition of skin and coat
- Sulfur and sulfur-containing compounds: helps to rebuild cartilage and joint health while improving the condition of skin, hair, and nails
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM): reduces stiffness and inflammation
- Manganese: strengthens bones
Are There any Side Effects for Dogs Taking Glucosamine?
The side effects for a dog taking glucosamine are rare although not unheard of, and usually avoided if you follow dosing advice from your vet.
- Allergic reactions: dogs who suffer from shellfish allergies may also be allergic to glucosamine supplements. Your vet will either advise a lower dose of the supplement or recommend a plant-based formulation.
- Interactions with blood sugar: glucosamine supplements can interact with your dog’s blood sugar levels, particularly if they are also taking blood-thinning medication. Again, consult your vet for tailored advice.
- Gastrointestinal upsets: glucosamine supplements can be a little harsh on your dog’s stomach and digestive system, occasionally leading to flatulence, vomit, and diarrhea. The best way to combat this is to administer their dosage with food or lower their dose, after consulting with your vet.
The Best Glucosamine for Dogs
Below, we've rounded up and reviewed what we consider to be the best glucosamine for dogs currently available on the market.
Trusted manufacturer Nutramax are the people behind the best glucosamine supplement for dogs on the market with their all-round joint support chewable tablet.
- The most complete joint support supplement on the market today
- It’s a chewable tablet that’s easily digestible
- Its formulation includes Chondroitin Sulfate, ASU (avocado and soybean unsaponifiables), MSM and green tea to effectively reduce stiffness and other symptoms of arthritis
- It benefits from over ten years worth of clinical use and research
- It’s suitable for long term use and effective when used for arthritis, hip dysplasia and other joint problems
- It’s quite expensive in comparison to other supplements on the market
Another Nutramax product is in second place and is well known for being potent and fast-acting – hence why it’s vets’ favorite glucosamine supplement for joint health.
- It’s the most recommended supplement for joint health among veterinary professionals
- It contains glucosamine hydrochloride, sodium chondroitin sulfate, MSM and manganese
- It’s a chewable tablet so is easily digestible and has a light liver flavor
- Suitable for use on dogs of all different sizes, ages, and joint symptoms
- The supply lasts for a long time and is particularly economical once your dog progresses on to the maintenance stage and requires lower dosages
- The initial administration stage is very strong and works quickly in relieving chronic joint problems
- Particularly fussy dogs may not enjoy the very light taste of the chewable tablet
Although not carrying as renowned a brand name as other products in our ranking, these chews are full of potent and fast-acting vitamins and minerals, promising pain relief, joint support and an extra glossy coat for your dog.
- It contains extra-strength glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin and Omega-3 fish oils
- The Omega-3 ensures a strong and glossy coat, as well as providing additional anti-inflammatory support
- Formulated in a chewable tablet with a delicious chicken flavor
- Made in the USA using a cold pressed manufacturing process which ensures no active ingredients are lost
- It works quickly and effectively to combat joint problems and comes with a money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied
- It’s gentle on your dog’s stomach
- Some users have commented that it’s difficult to halve the chews without them crumbling – be sure to use scissors if you try!
Offering something a little different, TerraMax’s glucosamine product comes in a liquid form and is easy to combine with food and water – perfect for fussy eaters! Additionally, it contains a high dosage of the glucosamine and other helpful compounds.
- It contains an unmatched 1,600 mg of glucosamine hydrochloride, 1,200 mg of chondroitin sulfate and 1,000 mg of MSM.
- It’s also fortified with Hyaluronic acid which helps the rebuilding process of cartilage and joint tissue
- It’s a liquid formulation which is absorbed faster and more efficiently into the bloodstream than tablets are
- TerraMax manufacture their supplements in the USA, and they last for a long time with a money-back guarantee if you’re unsatisfied
- All ingredients are rated at human grade and are distilled to provide the purest form.
- The liquid is free from gluten, corn, milk, yeast, sugar, salt, starch and soy derivatives
- As it’s in liquid form, this glucosamine supplement doesn’t last as long as the other solid products on this list.
We’re back to the usual chewable tablets with Glyco-Flex’s glucosamine supplement, and this product is particularly popular with dogs that like the tasty treat aspect of the chew.
- Best suited to dogs suffering from mild to moderate joint issues, geriatric and working dogs, or those recovering from orthopedic surgery
- It contains glucosamine, manganese, MSM and vet-patented DMG (Dimethylglycine, a protein building block), which claims to help bolster your dog’s immune system
- Shaped like a treat and available in a tasty chicken liver flavor
- Made in the USA
- Not as soft as their name suggests so some dogs may struggle to chew into these tablet treats
- These will be less helpful for dogs suffering from severe arthritis symptoms.
As you can see, there are plenty of quality glucosamine supplements for dogs available and, if you choose the best one for your dog, you can be sure that their aches and pains will lessen and provide them with a higher quality of life.
The most important thing to remember is always to consult with your vet when you’re assessing dosage as they will be able to provide tailored medical advice for you to follow.
Product image credits: © Chewy.com
Please be aware this page contains affiliate links and LabradorTrainingHQ receives a small commission if you make any purchases through any such links. This has absolutely no effect on the eventual price that you pay and we are very grateful for your support.
All content on this site is provided for informational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be nor can it be considered actionable professional advice. It must not be used as an alternative to seeking professional advice from a veterinarian or other certified professional.
LabradorTrainingHQ.com assumes no responsibility or liability for the use or misuse of what’s written on this site. Please consult a professional before taking any course of action with any medical, health or behavioral related issue.
Save this to Pinterest:
Our Top Picks
- DOG FOOD: The Farmer’s Dog - We’re feeding all of our dogs fresh dog food. It’s not cheap, but Raven loves it! Get 50% off your first order.
- PUPPY TOY: Snuggle Puppy w/ Heart Beat & Heat Pack - Perfect for new puppies. We get all of our Service Dog pups a Snuggle Puppy.
- CHEW TOY: KONG Extreme - Great toy for heavy chewers like our Labrador Retrievers.
For more of our favorites check out all of our Dog Product Reviews.