This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
A comprehensive look at Science Diet Dog Food reviews that explore this popular dog food brand who not only provides quality, all-natural food for pets in your home but also in shelters every day.
Contents & Quick Navigation
With so many options out there for pet parents on what food to feed their precious pups, the choices can certainly seem overwhelming. One brand of dog food that you might run across a time or two during your search is Hill’s Science Diet. If you’re looking for pet food that is unlike the rest, you’ve found it in the plant-based Science Diet Dog Food. And Hill’s Science Diet isn’t just about manufacturing dog food. The company is fully committed to supporting shelters year-round by providing balanced pet nutrition to every dog so that they can go on to live happy and healthy lives with their owners that are waiting for them. We’re committed to providing you the best review so that you can decide if this is the right dog food for your beloved pup.
We have given Science Diet Dog Food a 4.8-star rating.
At a Glance: Our Choices for the Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Light Dry Dog Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Advanced Dry Dog Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Large Breed Dry Dog Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Mature Adult Active Longevity Dry Dog Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Advanced Fitness Small Bites Dry Dog Food
Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food received a rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars for a number of reasons. It is clear that Science Diet has a strong philosophy when it comes to how they do their business and this is extremely important. They clearly care about all animals and support shelters in helping get animals to their forever homes. But the quality of food they produce and customer satisfaction are also two key components to the rating.
- Small BitesWith specific products formulated for smaller breeds, customers are reporting satisfaction with the size of the kibble that Science Diet is producing. For smaller breeds, bigger pieces are hard to chew and swallow, but Science Diet takes careful note to give smaller pieces to the smaller breeders. Customers love this about this pet food.
- Digestive Issues SolvedAs we all know, digestive issues for dogs (and humans) can be troublesome. For dogs, it is hard to pinpoint what exactly may be causing the digestive issues, but if an owner—like yourself—determines that a particular food is causing an issue, then a switch needs to be made. Customers report that due to the formula of Hill’s Science Diet, their pups have seen drastic changes in their digestive systems and no longer suffer from problems. This is a huge relief to pet owners everywhere.
- Plant-BasedIt’s not often that dog foods are solely plant-based, but Hill’s Science Diet is. This type of dog food means more organic ingredients, easier to digest formulas, better pet nutrition, and less sensitivity for your pup’s stomach.
- Change in FormulaWhile all dog food brands go through changes here and there, sometimes those changes aren’t received well. With a formula change occurring in Hill’s Science Diet dog food, some dogs who reportedly loved the food previously were no longer fans. Some customers even reported that their furry friend ate Science Diet for two years with no problems until the formula change.
- TasteThere are some loyal customers have reported their dogs suddenly have a dislike for Hill’s Science Diet due to a formula change, and some new customers have found it hard for their pup to even try the dog food at all. Some reported that their dog wouldn’t touch the food at all and others reported the dog eating the food but throwing it up later. These could be isolated incidents as it was not a common thread among the reviews read.
While Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food is plant-based, there are a couple of concerns when it comes to the ingredient list. Though it contains ingredients, such as high-quality protein, folic acid, soybean oil, thiamine mononitrate, it also has wheat and corn. Many dogs have allergic reactions to wheat and corn and Hill’s Science uses corn and wheat in the first five products they list on their ingredient list. However, there is a good amount of high-quality protein that comes in the first two ingredients listed on their products (chicken meal and pork meal mostly). There are also prebiotics and green ingredients that promote health and happiness in your pup!
There are no recent recalls listed for Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food listed on the FDA website.
While we know that finding the perfect dog food can be difficult, Hill’s Science diet for dogs reviews show that customers (humans and pups alike) are very pleased with this plant-based, natural product that promotes health and happiness in all dogs. If you’re looking for a company that stands behind a worthy cause such as shelter animals and their needs, this is the company to use. With an emphasis on care for all shelter animals, Hill’s Science Diet is proud to stand behind the distribution of food to shelters all over to help animals find their forever homes. Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food is a trust household name and a product line that most pet parents know about and trust. Overall, this product is a good quality dog food that offers your dog ingredients that are healthy and wholesome, a price point that is reasonable, and business philosophies that serve more than just dogs! Reviews of Science Diet Dog Food proves that if you are looking for a dog food with a purpose, look no further than Hill’s Science Diet.
Check out what Samson and Madison, the picky eater, has to say about Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food. Take it from someone who knows dog food (Samson, obviously), and learn what the consensus is about Science Diet Dog Food.
Top Picks For Our Dogs
- BEST PUPPY TOY
We Like: Calmeroos Puppy Toy w/ Heartbeat and Heat Packs - Perfect for new puppies. Helps ease anxiety in their new home.
- BEST CHEW TOY
We Like: KONG Classic - Great toy for heavy chewers like our Labrador Retrievers.
- BEST DOG TREATS
We Like: Zukes Mini Naturals - One of our favorite treats for training our service dog puppies.
- BEST FRESH DOG FOOD
We Like: The Farmer's Dog - A couple months ago we started feeding Raven fresh dog food and she loves it! Get 50% off your first order of The Farmer's Dog.
For a list of all the supplies we get for our new service dog puppies check out our New Puppy Checklist on the PuppyInTraining.com blog.