As one of the most established and well known vacuuming brands, Hoover are trusted for creating high quality, reliable products that offer a great compromise between innovation and price.
This Hoover Air Cordless Handheld Pet Hand Vacuum is an incredibly popular Hoover model that offers impressive performance on pet hair and general clean-ups while clocking in at a much cheaper price than some of its competitors – it’s less than a third of the price of the Dyson handheld, for instance, while offering a comparable performance.
It’s for these reasons and more that we awarded the Hoover Air Handheld Vacuum the position of best handheld vacuum for pet hair in our round up of 12 of the best pet hair-attacking vacuums on the market.
Contents & Quick Navigation
Look and Feel
Like many of the leading vacuums on the market nowadays, the aesthetics of the Hoover Air veer towards the futuristic with its slightly robotic-looking design and silver, blue and transparent color scheme.
Regardless of how you feel about how it looks, however, you’ll be able to tuck it away from sight when you’re not using it as the charging station only requires the battery to be plugged in to charge.
It certainly feels sturdy and robust while the ergonomic design suggests quality and precision in design and material.
Size, Weight and Handling
At just under 4lbslbs, the Air cordless handheld is lightweight in comparison to its competitors, which average around 5lbs, belying the strength and quality of its engineering.
This vacuum is very easy to manoeuvre around corners and different surfaces and its assorted attachments allow you to clean into hard-to-reach areas – such as under furniture – with ease, regardless of how uneven the surface may be.
Its handle is ergonomically designed so handling is easy and comfortable.
Being a handheld vacuum, it doesn’t come with a full suite accessories like the bigger upright models do, but Hoover have added some essentials to make it more versatile:
- Powered Turbo Tool: this motorized brush attachment ensures maximum pick-up of pet hair and minimal tangling around the brush head.
- Crevice Tool: helps you vacuum in hard-to-reach areas and small spaces.
- Fade-Free Battery Technology ensures maximum suction power through the life of the entire battery charge.
Just like other top-rated vacuums, the Air Cordless Handheld’s filter doesn’t get clogged and maintains its powerful suction throughout its lifespan.
It’s powered by an interchangeable 20-volt Lithium ion battery that allows for fade free power for around 15 minutes – double the run time of normal batteries – until it’s fully depleted. It is recharged fully in around 9 hours.
The included accessories are sophisticated and paramount in the effective pick-up of pet hair, working alongside the powerful suction. The motorized brush head works to lift and separate hair from surfaces, before swooping it through the vacuum and removing all trace of it.
Hoover Air Cordless Handheld Vacuum Test Video
Good for what jobs and surfaces?
As a handheld, the Hoover Air is designed for quick clean-ups and spot cleaning rather than whole house cleans. It works on carpet, hardwood, upholstery and curtains and is particularly useful for vacuuming the car, thanks to it being cordless.
It reportedly should not be used on leather upholstery (although it’s unlikely that pet hair would be caught there anyway).
Any bigger jobs or particularly deep carpets will require a normal upright or canister vacuum, but that’s due to the fact it’s just a handheld rather than there being any problems with this particular product.
Edge Cleaning Performance
You’ll have no problem doing spot cleaning of edges and skirting boards thanks to the pivoting powered brushroll attachment for pet hair and crevice tool that allows it greater maneuverability and 100% surface contact to really penetrate the nooks and crannies.
One of the best features of the Hoover Air Cordless Handheld not already discussed is just how convenient and intuitive it is to use. It has an LED gauge indicating the amount of battery life left and when you will need to recharge it.
Maintenance is really easy too as the brush roll can be ejected if and when you need to clean it, and has an easy rinse re-usable filter that can simply be cleaned by running under the tap.
Summary of Pros
- Made by Hoover: one of the most established and trustworthy vacuum brands
- Reasonably priced: it’s less than a third of the price of the comparable Dyson Handhold
- Sturdy, ergonomic design: it’s clearly well made and comfortable to handle
- Sleek, aesthetic design: if a little futuristic looking…
- Very lightweight: it’s just under 4lbs
- Easy manoeuvrability: it has a pivoting powered upholstery tool and crevice tool attachment that allow you to get into tough spaces with 100% contact
- Sophisticated accessories: the powered upholstery tool puts paid to pesky pet hair while the crevice tool takes care of your delicate surfaces
- Cyclonic technology: suction is powerful and won’t clog the filter
- Long battery life: sports double the runtime of standard batteries and fade free power for 15 minutes.
- Versatile: considering it’s a handheld, it can ably perform spot cleaning on carpet, hardwood, upholstery, curtains and cars
- Convenient: LED gauge indicates how much charge is left and brush roll ejects for easy maintenance.
Summary of Cons:
- Charge time is a little lengthy at 9 hours
- Can’t be used on leather
The Hoover Air Handheld Cordless Vacuum is undoubtedly one of the best handheld vacuums on the market and a worthy purchase for pet owners looking for a model to easily remove patches of pet hair while also being an effective and long-lasting spot cleaner.
Its specialist features, sophisticated attachments, impressive battery life and the fact it’s made by Hoover should more than convince you that you can’t really go wrong with this product.