Searching for the most suitable crate for your medium-sized dog? Then we strongly recommend a metal wire dog crate.
They are the most popular type of crate used by professional dog trainers, veterinary clinics, dog show enthusiasts and more.
But what makes a wire crate so great? Find out in our article below where we discuss the benefits, before making a few choice recommendations of the best crates on the market.
At a Glance: Our Choices of Best Crates for Medium Sized Dogs
- MidWest Life Stages Folding Metal Dog Crate
- Midwest iCrate Pet Crates
- ProSelect Easy Dog Crates for Dogs
- Precision Pet Two-Door Great Crate
Note: The links above take you to more information, current prices and customer reviews on Amazon.
Contents & Quick Navigation
- What Features of a Wire Crate Make Them So Good?
- Wire Dog Crate Buying Tips
- Best Dog Crates for Medium Sized Dogs
What Features of a Wire Crate Make Them So Good?
Keeping Them Clean is a Breeze
Non-absorbent, with a removable tray for easy cleaning and an easy-wipe epoxy resin coating, no other crate is as easy to clean as a metal wire dog crate.
Simply wipe them down with a damp cloth every so often, and in case of accidents remove and wash the tray, perhaps even hose the crate down in the garden and it will dry within minutes. It doesn’t get much easier to keep a crate clean and hygienic.
Included Divider To Resize for a Puppy
A puppy needs a different size crate compared to a 9 month old, who needs a different size crate compared to a full grown adult. This can become expensive.
Wire dog crates overcome the need for different crate sizes throughout the life of a dog by having the ability to fit a divider panel that resizes the crate to suit a puppies needs, and then removing the divider when they become adult.
One crate for all life stages – fantastic value!
Great Features for a Great Price
Wire crates offer the best mix of price, features, safety and security of any crate style on the market. To match the strength and quality in a fabric or plastic crate would cost many 10s of dollars more.
The Highest Airflow and Visibility of Any Crate
If there’s a need for high ventilation or your dog prefers 360 degree views, than a wire crate is the answer.
No other crate provides such high visibility or ventilation as these and if it gets too much, it’s simple to buy a cover or to use an old sheet or two, an option you don’t have solid walled fabric or plastic crates.
Easy to Store and Transport
Wire crates are very easily collapsed flat into a suitcase size with carry handle, making them very easy to store and transport.
Of, course this is true of fabric plates, and many plastic crates can be broken in half, but the mix of features and price that wire crates have, and the fact portability isn’t a negative, adds toward them being the best choice.
Unrivaled Durability and Strength
Metal wire dog crates can withstand a lot of abuse without marking or damage. Any scratching, chewing, moving it room to room or in and out of storage, all of this will be taken in its stride.
They will last many years and far longer than any crate made from wood or plastic, while outlasting most crates made from plastic (except maybe a few that are far more expensive!)
Wire Dog Crate Buying Tips
There are quite literally scores of different crates available from almost as many different manufacturers. Many share the same features and characteristics, however many of them don’t. And some makers try the ‘hard sell’ by describing their product in marketing speak without really getting to the most important things you should consider.
To make sure you end up with a high quality crate best suited to yours and your dog’s needs, take note of the following tips and check against any possible choices before buying your crate:
- Check for ease of assembly and foldability: Most models feature ‘no-tolls required’ assembly and can be folded flat without tools also. Important for moving it around and storage if and when it’s not needed.
- You want an easy clean base: Some crates have an easily removed base tray for cleaning, others do not. But they are pretty much the same price, so you may as well opt for one with this benefit.
- Ensure there’s no sharp ends. I’ve seen feedback left in reviews that some inferior crate makers have left sharp edges that have harmed dogs or their owners. Definitely something to look out for!
- Check for stainless qualities: You want the crate to last a lifetime and to do so it must be corrosion resistant. Look for stainless steel or epoxy coated crates that will not rust.
- The correct size is most important: Making sure the crate isn’t too small avoids obvious cruelty, but making sure it isn’t too big keeps a cosy and safe feeling space, while making it useful for house training
Best Dog Crates for Medium Sized Dogs
Note: The crates on this page are handpicked to be perfectly sized for the following breeds:
American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Basenji, Cocker Spaniel, Dachshund, French Bulldog, King Charles Spaniel, Lhasa Apso, Miniature Pinscher, Miniature Schnauzer, Shetland Sheepdog, Tibetan Terrier, Welsh Springer Spaniel, Welsh Terrier, West Highland Terrier.
Midwest dog crates are the single most popular crates for sale in America – and it’s easy to see why.
The company has been trading and producing dog crates now for over 90 years and in that time have truly perfected the art of creating high quality, feature rich yet affordable crates for all.
I’m sure nobody would argue that Midwest Homes for Pets are the most highly respected industry leaders in the space. Therefore we feature and recommend their two most popular models.
Following this are two great alternatives, from Proselect and precision pet. Very similar feature sets to the Midwest crates and certainly up there matching in quality.
Midwest Life Stages Folding Metal Dog Crate
The Midwest life stages crate is the most popular crate from the most popular brand of crate manufacturers in America. There’s no other crate received such huge numbers of high praise and good reviews all over the web as this model.
- Double door crate, for easy access from the front and side.
- Tough, protective black electro-coat finish ensures good looks, durability and long life.
- Easily removable and easy to clean, tough ABS plastic tray in the base.
- 2 slide catches for closing the crate, rounded corners and no sharp edges – Safety and security is foremost with this crate.
- Complete with divider panel for re-sizing a larger crate to suit a puppy.
- Extremely easy to set-up and break down, with no tools required.
- Folds down into a suitcase size, complete with two handles, for ease of portability.
Midwest iCrate Pet Crates
The 2nd most popular model of crate from Midwest Homes 4 Pets, the iCrate series has a very similar feature set to the life stages series above, but there are some notable differences:
- The wire bars and grid on the life stage crates are a little thicker and closer together. This makes the life stages crates a little heavier, but more durable. In a Side by side comparison, the life stages crate just looks ‘tougher’.
- The iCrate model is also slightly narrower with a lower ceiling than the life stages for crates that are otherwise the same length.
- Due to slightly fewer materials being used, the price is lower in the iCrate series than the life stages.
Don’t let what seems like negatives above put you off! The iCrate is still a high quality crate that receives high praise from all. It’s just more suited to less boisterous (and less destructive) dogs who like maximum visibility from the inside of their crate.
- Double door for flexibility in positioning in your home, and two methods for access from the front or the side.
- Stylish looking, durable, protective black electro-coating.
- Easily to clean and tough ABS plastic tray.
- Secure slide bolt catches, no sharp edges, built with safety and security in mind.
- Divider panel with the larger crates – a crate that grows with your puppy.
- Simple, tool free set-up and fold down in seconds.
Proselect ‘Easy’ Wire Dog Crates
The ‘Easy’ line of dog crates from Proselect are a great value, great priced series of crates combining all the necessary features to make them a highly secure and safe crate to use with your dog or puppy.
Great feedback with over 200 4 and 5 star reviews on Amazon from previous owners, this crate earns high praise indeed from the people who matter – people using the crates day to day with their pets.
- Slide out floor tray for easy and convenient cleaning. The wire crate itself has a black coating that’s simple to wipe clean with a cloth.
- Divider panel included as standard to resize the crate as for a puppy and increase space as they grow.
- Dual sliding bolts for securing the door – extra protection if your dog is a wannabe Houdini.
- Easy assembly with no tools needed, and folds extremely easily for storage or transportation.
Precision Pet Two-Door Great Crate
Another great value, high quality wire crate providing maximum ventilation and visibility from within.
Extremely good feedback and reviews from previous owners, testifying to the crates quality, durability and great value.
- Double door crate providing flexibility for placement against different walls and easy access to your dog inside.
- Removable, easy clean plastic tray for a base.
- Divider panel included for re-sizing the crate to suit your puppy until they grow.
- No tools needed for assembly
- Effortlessly folds and includes a carry handle for easy storage and portability.
- Rounded corners and no sharp edges to ensure the safety of both you and your pet.
- Stylish looking, black epoxy resin coating that is easily wiped clean and durable.
Product image credits: © Amazon.com
Please be aware this page contains affiliate links and Labrador Training HQ receives a small commission if you make any purchases through any such links. This has absolutely no effect on the eventual price that you pay and we are very grateful for your support.
OUR TOP 5 MOST POPULAR DOG PRODUCTS
Across the entire Labrador Training HQ website here are the top 5 dog products that have been popular with our readers over the past few months: